4.04.2012

Bring Your Own Bags!

Journey to Zero Waste: Tip #2

Once my husband and I had made the decision to reduce our waste (hopefully to the point of almost none!) I knew what I had to do - sew some cloth bags for our bulk grocery shopping! Lucky for me, I love to sew. However, if you aren’t as excited as I am about making your own bags, there are many affordable options out there! (*Or you could ask me to make some for you...? Just a thought!) 


All I know is that THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!


As I mentioned above, shopping "zero-waste-style" means shopping in bulk. There will be no more cereal boxes, cracker boxes, condiment containers, bags of rice, bags of beans, vegetables packaged in plastic, canned items, bread bagged in plastic... my list could go on and on. We are still in the process of sorting through what we currently have - deciding what to throw away and what to finish off. At this point you might be wondering how we are going to live a so-called normal life this way, but the best part is that buying in bulk doesn’t mean going without. Here are a few items that we have already found in bulk:
  • Flour
  • Sugar 
  • Rice
  • Beans
  • Pasta
  • Oats
  • Granola
  • Cereal
  • Nuts
  • Oil (Olive, canola, & more)
  • Honey
  • Peanut Butter
  • Dried Fruits (Dried cranberries are my favorite!) 
  • Trail Mixes
  • Spices
  • Coffee!
  • ...even Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzels! 
Oh, yeah, I think we can do this. =)


There is something about scooping out your own food, into your own bags - really seeing what you're getting- that makes you feel more connected to it. It is also a breath of fresh air to not see logos and brand names EVERYWHERE! Basically, I am really enjoying this change so far! 

My husband and I have even WALKED to a nearby Organic Co. Op. ,
instead of driving, two weeks in a row! We are so proud of ourselves. =) 


I hope that this journey still seems achievable - because it is!  Feel free to ask me questions along the way!
*ATH*



4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS KALIE! your are deff. going to inspire so many people! when we went to the whole foods that just opened in OKC i never want to go back to a normal super market again! everything was so fresh and home grown! it really does feel good to scoop it up yourself! very refreshing! we are trying to take a trip each month there instead of going to walmart every week. See lol
    you are inspiring!

    -Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! =) I'm glad you guys got a Whole foods in OKC! Too bad it isn't closer. Making fewer trips to a better place is worth getting a better product, plus you're giving your money to a better place too! I hope people are inspired to at least make a few changes, because a lot of small changes can make a big difference!

      Delete
  2. Kalie I'm so inspired by you guys, I need to get over to your house soon to see how your doing it all. Im gonna try and convince alissa and beth to start this in our apt. PS where are you selling your bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Come on over! I haven't listed my bags on Etsy yet, but I probably will soon. If you buy the fabric and ribbon I would love to make some for you - no cost! We can make it a party! Haha.

      Delete