4.20.2012

Making a List... Checking it Twice!

I have always been a visual person and I LOVE to make lists. For me, seeing things on paper (or computer screen) makes me feel organized and I am more likely to get things accomplished. This life change to zero waste has thrown off our normal way of doing things. We used to be able to go out and buy whatever we wanted/needed without thinking about it, but now we are choosing to be conscious about what we are putting in our shopping cart. After a couple of successful, but somewhat stressful and time consuming shopping trips, I decided to put together a list of the things we buy on a regular basis, categorizing them into how we will buy them.

*Bulk & Unpackaged items are a combination of things that will be bought in the bulk and deli sections of the store and some items, such as eggs, will need to be purchased at the farmers market in order to come unpackaged.


*Homemade items are just that - homemade from scratch!


*Glass (or) Cardboard items are things that we use often, but cannot make. I will stick to only buying these things in glass. Baking soda (which I use for cleaning) comes in cardboard.


*Questionable items are things that I might not need, but want, and don't know how to find unpackaged. I am open to help and advice!


Soy Milk - I have thought about making, but it intimidates me and might be expensive. (We do not drink regular milk) 

Half & Half - I use this in my coffee every day and I don't like coffee black. What should I do???
Butter - I can only find this packaged. I recycle the box, clean the wrappers, and compost them (as long as they are not the waxy paper).
Yeast - I need this for baking bread. Does it only come in packets???
Dog Food - Unless we make all of Olives food, which would be crazy expensive, we have to buy this packaged. I do make her treats from scratch, though!
Toilet Paper - This is our exception... enough said. However, I am looking for TP wrapped in paper instead of plastic.





I hope this visual helped you to see how we are going about this zero waste challenge. I know it helped me! Again, I would love any tips or advice that you might have! 

*ATH*

10 comments:

  1. I find yeast in bulk at my co-op, maybe at places like whole foods too. I love buying in bulk. And I love reading your blog, glad to see you guys are still doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also buy baking powder (aluminum free) and baking soda in bulk too and store them in cute glass containers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! I'll have to keep my eye out for those things! I have never been to a Whole Foods, but know we have a few around here. I have been trying to buy as close to home as possible, but wouldn't mind driving further for things that will last me a while.

      I also enjoy reading your blog! Josh and I are moving back up north in June, so we should get together sometime! =)

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I've seen yeast in a glass jar in the grocery store. For Toilet paper, maybe try a supply warehouse where companies buy their supplies. At BJs the toilet paper we used was wrapped in paper not plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I can't find yeast in bulk I'll definitely look for it in glass!

      Delete
  4. We get fresh raw milk from a farm. You can get wide-mouthed jars for it (or whatever the farm requires). We cannot drink regular milk, but raw milk is digestible. Soy is not good for you...hormones :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Costco has eco-friendly toilet paper, and is not individually wrapped

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really interested in the raw milk you commented about! I have heard about the cons of soy milk, but buy it because Josh is lactose intolerant. We don't drink it often... mostly just in smoothies and banana ice cream. Can lactose intolerant people drink raw milk? =)

      Delete
  6. I think it's really inspiring that you are trying to live waste free! How do you feel about almond milk? You could make it from scratch...here's a recipe: http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homemade-almond-milk/, but if that doesn't work for you just google almond milk recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been a journey, but we are making progress every day! I do like almond milk and will check out the recipe you sent me! =) My only concern is the price of almonds... my husband and I are still poor college students and unfortunately that kind of determines what we can/cannot buy. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for sales though!

      Delete