8.11.2012

Summer Abroad

I can hardly believe it has been over two months since my last post. Time has been flying by and I have a lot of catching up to do!

This summer, my husband and I had the amazing opportunity to go on our first European vacation with his family. Our trip began in NYC, then on to England, France, Belgium, a snippet of the Netherlands, back to England, back to NYC, and ended with a few days exploring the East Coast. Despite the freezing cold and rainy weather (in Europe), it was an experience of a lifetime and a trip we will remember forever.


I have to admit, though, that I ended this trip pretty disappointed in myself. Throughout this "Journey to Zero Waste" I have been so focused on MY home, MY shopping habits, MY little bubble of life. It did not take long for me to realize that I was completely unprepared to travel AND practice abroad what I had been trying to live at home. Maybe I'm being a little hard on myself... let's face it, my husband and I would have done a lot of things differently if we had been traveling on our own, with our own money, so I will take that in as a factor. Still, the environment doesn't care about who you are traveling with or the millions of excuses created for wasteful decisions.


So, about half way through our trip, I started to keep my eyes open for ways to be less wasteful while on vacation. Below are a few pictures of what I found!



I was inspired by the glass milk bottles that
I saw in London!
I was SO excited to be able to visit Unpackaged, a bulk shop in London!

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Catherine Conway,
and talking to her all about her journey to zero waste!
I am so inspired by her! 

These bikes were all over Europe! It would have been a
great way to see the city without taking a taxi.

It's always exciting to see things sold in bulk - especially cookies! =)

Mmm... bulk coffee beans! These ones were un-roasted.

I thoroughly enjoyed trying the espresso everywhere we went!
I ordered it "for here" instead of taking it in a "to go" cup.

We passed by a few flee markets!
This would have been a great way to find unique souvenirs!

We took advantage of the clothesline in our hotel rooms! Haha

We passed by this AMAZING butchery in Belgium!

A great place to buy unpackaged meat & cheese!

I was happy to find this shop that sold all kinds of bulk oil & vinegars!

More unpackaged sausage at a local farmer's
 market in Belgium!

My husband tried a Belgian beer, while in Belgium,
instead of an imported one. 
It was brewed on site and came down
through these pipes!

Back in the States, we visited the Plymouth Plantation in Massachusetts.
I was so inspired by the English village and the simple life it portrayed. 

This guy was a wood carver and made all of the furniture
used in the English village! I would love to build
my own piece of furniture one day!

Also for the English village, these bowls and pitchers
were made on site, instead of bought elsewhere. 

When I saw this display on the Mayflower 2, I said
"Look! The Pilgrims bought stuff in bulk too!" Haha


Well, there is a little look into our time abroad! I am thankful for the things I learned on this vacation and can't wait to travel smarter next time! 

*ATH*



No comments:

Post a Comment