11.18.2013

Bumpdate! {Part One}

Well, hello blogland! I am going to do the best I can to FINALLY sit down sit up and write a little update on my pregnancy so far. (P.S. Can I just say that it still sounds so bizarre to say those words... "my pregnancy"?) Sometimes I think my brain still doesn't believe that something, or someone, is really in there, which is crazy, because I am definitely feeling the side effects of pregnancy in full force! I suppose I should start at the beginning of the story, so here we go!

My husband, Josh, and I have been married for over 5 years. We got married at 19 and I'm sure a lot of people thought we were a little "crazy in the head", but we knew it was the right step for us. Of course, getting married so young and being in the middle of our college years, pregnancy was always a concern. We really wanted it to be something that we were "ready" for - something that was planned. Waiting 5 long years, for me, was pretty much torture. I knew it was the right thing for us to wait, but it was so hard! 

I can't remember the first time that we had "the talk" about possibly being ready, because I'm sure it was something that I brought up on a pretty regular basis, but I would say that by the middle of the summer, after we hit the 5 year mark on marriage, it began to be something that we discussed a lot more seriously. (Keep in mind, I am using the term "ready" loosely here. Of course there are always a gazillion more things you could check off the list before being really ready, but does that day really exist? I don't think so.)

By August we were actually "trying" to get pregnant, which was so surreal. Pregnancy had been something that we had avoided for so long, that it almost felt like "Hold on! What are we doing!? Are we sure this is okay!?" Ha. I was constantly reminding myself that we were adults - 25 year old adults. When did that happen? Crazy. 

It only took us two months of trying until we saw those two glorious lines on a home pregnancy test! That was one crazy day. I really didn't think I was pregnant, even though I was 4 days late, and I did NOT want to take a test because I didn't want to be disappointed with a negative result. BUT I was driving Josh insane! (I am so thankful, for his sake, that it only took us two months of trying, because I kind of turned into a crazy person. Ha.) He pretty much begged me to just take it already, so I did. 

On Wednesday, October 16th, early in the morning, I went into the bathroom and took the test. The box said to give it 3 minutes to show the result, which I was fully convinced would be negative. I peed, hit the timer on my phone, and reached to set the test on the counter. Before I could fully set it down, THERE WERE TWO LINES! I'm pretty sure my whole body went numb. I didn't laugh, or cry, or scream, or smile, or anything. I just stared - for a looong time. I finally gathered myself enough to open the door and walk out where Josh was waiting for me, and I just said "It's positive." He immediately smiled and yelled "I knew it! This is so exciting!!!" I have to say, he had always been the more hesitant one, so the fact that he was sounding confident and excited about it really helped me to snap out of my shock and fear a bit. =)


Without much time to let things sink in, we had to scramble to get ready and head off to work, but that was a pretty special day when it was just our little secret. =)

(To be continued...)    

No comments:

Post a Comment